- This event has passed.
MaP Book Club ~ America and Its Guns
January 24 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
The Gun Violence Book Group will meet via Zoom. We will be discussing America and Its Guns: A Theological Expose by James Atwood using the questions set forth in the Presbyterian Peace Fellowship’s Gun Violence Prevention Congregational Toolkit. If you need a book, it can be ordered from Amazon or King’s Books. Zoom Meeting ID: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84967746094
January 24: Chapters 8,9,10
Session Three – The Principalities & Powers Chapters 8, 9, 10
1. Open by reading Ephesians 6:12 and ask everyone: Each person give one word that describes the “principalities and powers” (King James Version) that Paul addresses.
2. Is the absence of sensible gun laws in America related to the Principalities and Powers? What is the relationship between these spiritual and earthly powers? Have you ever experienced these powers in relation to guns?
3. With any smart phones, search for images of “Jesus with assault weapon” and share. What is at the root of a human desire to attribute the blessing of guns and violence to God? Does anything in these chapters make you angry?
4. Do you agree that US racial-ethnic diversity is one reason some people feel a need to acquire a gun? (p. 92)
5. Did the marksman and sporting era of the NRA (1871-1976) play a role in your family history? Were you aware of its change of focus since 1977 and the Cincinnati Revolt? Why is the NRA so successful at promoting gun sales?
6. Atwood documents that the oft-repeated “20,000 gun control laws on the books” is untrue. Why does it persist?
7. Have you faced up to a significant fear in your life? Why is fear so powerful? How did faith help you face up to fear? Read Ephesians 6:10-20.
Pending Gun Control Legislation
HB 1618, HB 1630, SB 5568: restrict firearms at public meetings, special polling places, and ballot counting locations
HB 1705: close background check loophole that allows anyone to buy ghost guns (imposes civil penalties for possessing a gun that is untraceable because it contains no serial number)
SB 5078/HB 1164: prohibit high-capacity magazines
HB 1759: increase public awareness about safe gun storage
The Alliance for Gun Responsibility is also urging the legislature to fund an Office of Firearm Safety and Violence Prevention. You can find out more about this legislation and the Alliance’s work on its website: www.foundation.gunresponsibility.org
January 31: Chapters 11, 12,13
February 7: Chapters 14, 15,16
February 14: Chapters 17, 18, 19